The Asynt CondenSyn Waterless Air Condenser is a unique glass condenser, handmade individually in the UK, that requires no cooling water for operation. By using a unique glass forming technique we have been able to manufacture a high surface area air condenser which is robust and effective.
- Performance of the CondenSyn is equivalent to a Leibig type condenser being used with tap water.
- No issues with water leakage, and potential flooding
- By not using water the environmental impact is reduced as is the costs of water usage.
- A tidy setup, clear visibility of reflux and easy to clean
- Suitable for use under vacuum
- Each CondenSyn is individually handmade in the UK
- CondenSyn is designed to integrate into multiple systems and applications, with fittings to suit.
- CondenSyn is considerably less costly than other available systems, but don’t let that put you off!
- The unique Asynt CondenSyn concept is protected by European Community Registered Designs
The Asynt CondenSyn waterless air condenser shown connects via B24 neck to a round bottom flask. However CondenSyn is available to suit any standard size connection with B19 also very popular.
Independent tests were performed by a leading UK University to evaluate the performance for safe use in their research and teaching laboratories. Evaluations were based upon a basic 350mm effective length CondenSyn, a 250ml round bottom flask with 150ml of solvent.
In these tests the weighed contents were stirred at the given temperature for the stated time to test the loss of solvent, i.e. how much solvent would be lost once the contents have cooled to room temperature.
In a teaching environment the temperature of the heating element is often set higher by students than necessary to ensure a fast heating and vigorous, i.e. clearly visible, boiling of the solvent / reaction mixture. Thus, the temperatures were set to higher values than recommended in research labs for e.g. stills.
*The higher loss of water measured is due to its high surface tension that resulted in droplets of water sticking to the inside of the entire length of the condenser, rather than all running back to the RBF as was observed for all other solvents. **It is recommended that to prevent breakthrough when using solvents below 60C boiling point that a temperature differential is kept below 10oC. With Diethyl Ether then this should be no more than 4oC.
Saving money and water:
The average rate of water used in a condenser is 2 litres per minute; this rate was confirmed by a major UK research institution as the average measured use per water condenser in their facility. The water costs used below are at £1.22 per cubic metre supply and £1.56 per cubic metre waste which is equivalent to 0.28p per litre. This commercial rate cost is from a water supplier here in the UK, Anglian Water in March 2020.
Every CondenSyn is individually handmade in the UK.
GB-C-350-B19 is 350mm with B19 socket
GB-C-350-B24 is 350mm with B24 socket
GB-C-350-B29 is 350mm with B29 socket
GB-C-450-B19 is 450mm with B19 socket
GB-C-450-B24 is 450mm with B24 socket
GB-C-450-B29 is 450mm with B29 socket
USA fittings also available as well as additional socket sizes – please contact us for more information.